Café Steiner in Brno
- ADRESA - ADDRESS Gorkého 38, Brno
- AUTOŘI - DESIGNERS Petr Mutina, Tomáš Rusín, Ivan Wahla – Atelier RAW (Brno)
- INVESTOR Belmanet, s. r. o., Jan Muric
- NÁKLADY - COSTS cca 600 tis. Kč
- ZASTAVĚNÁ PLOCHA - 74,4 m2
- OBESTAVĚNÝ PROSTOR - CUBICAL CONTENT 280 m3
- HLAVNÍ DODAVATEL - GENERAL CONTRACTOR Furthner Brno
- PROJEKT - DESIGN 2001
- REALIZACE - CONSTRUCTION 2002
The café was established in a former corner store of a Functionalist tenement house designed and built in 1938 by the architect Endre Steiner, who designed a number of quality apartment houses in Brno.
Waste from the production of wood folding ruler measure sticks was used for the lining of the ceiling, walls and the bar counter. To line the entire space, thousands of small pieces of beech wood, 23 by 1.5 cm, in natural color alternating with a few bright red blocks, were used. Square frames for the display of pictures or photographs are flushed within the linig and imbedded in the walls. A continuous red bench is placed alongside the frontal wall. Tables and chairs are from a combination of natural beech wood and silver-grey varnished steel. Lighting is provided by cubic night lamps, from milky glass, suspended upside down. The yellow poured terrazzo floor was restored. Technical facilities and amenities are located underground. The new steel portal resonates the original shape and structure of the 1930’s portal.